PS/2 Mice and keyboards [ was Re: [ale] Re: your mail ]

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jul 2 11:29:06 EDT 1999

Mike Fletcher wrote:

>         I've got a wireless Logitech mouse that sometimes goes south.
> Usually switching to a console and stoppping and restarting gpm makes
> everything start working again (including X).

As I understand the purpose of gpm, it should 'help' this situation with
X as gpm enables your vga mouse.  The only references I've ever heard
that included gpm and X indicated that gpm might cause problems with
your mouse under X.  I don't think stopping and starting gpm is really
helping this situation, I suspect it's the switching consoles.

I think that with the serial mouse problem, it's a software thing,
whereas with the ps2, it's hardware.   As I've been in this situation a
few times in the past, I don't believe that you'll be able to bring a
ps2 mouse back to life without a reboot.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl