[ale] Re: your mail

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Jul 2 08:39:06 EDT 1999

Tom enscribed thusly:
> Why is it that if i unplug my mouse or keyboard, then re-plug them, Linux
> no long sees either input?

	I don't have that problem with the keyboard (generally) by quite
common with the mouse.  Most typically it's because it's a muliprotocol
mouse (ms & logitech most often) and "powers back up" in the wrong mode.
Linux doesn't know to "reinitialize" the mouse.

	The few times I've seen this with the keyboard, it's usually because
some signal has gotten confused and the keyboard is out of sync with the
keyboard controller.  I've generally been able to unplug and replug the
keyboard to restore operation.

	Note:  None of these are recommended actions!  In fact, they are
highly discouraged!  Keyboards and mice are typically not considered to be
"hot swappable" devices and you can do permanent physical damage by doing
so.  Don't come back and say "well I haven't had any problems".  That is
no guarantee that it is meant to work or that it won't fail at some time
in the future.  If it works 1000 times just fine and then blows up your
keyboard on the 1001 attempt, it's still your fault for doing something it
was not designed to do.

	If you want something like this to be hot-swappable, go with USB
keyboards and mice.  Support is bleeding edge right now, but it's coming
right along.

> Tom

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/