[ale] Partitioning

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Jan 3 09:59:56 EST 1999

	I am trying to prepare my hard drive to install linux on it, but
I've run into trouble trying to figure out how to partition it. I am
planning on 2G for linux, 2G for Win95, and 100M for swap and other
miscellaneous things.  It is a 4.3G drive, which my dad says after
formatting gives about 4.1G. That is why the above totals to that. The
problem is that I want those values after formatting, but FDISK wants me
to give the values unformatted, so I don't know what to allot. Also, I
can't figure out how to put the partition for Windows at the end of the
disk so that linux can be within its 512M limit.Basically my questions
are as follows.
1. How much do I need to allot for 2G available space after formatting
for the two partitions?
2. Do I need to create the linux partitions first since they will be near
the beginning of the drive?
3. Anything anybody wants to add, feel free to do so. I have never
partitioned a drive before, so I'm sure I'm missing something. So if you
see something I should know about, feel free to mention it.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]