[ale] Re: rewriting mail address

Steven A DuChene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Fri May 15 09:55:59 EDT 1998

> Outgoing mail seems to be unhappy. DNS tries to do a lookiup of the sending
> machine to make sure its legal and since I'm using dialup PPP, I just named my
> machine what the hell I felt like and of course that name doesn't appear.
> Any suggestions of modifcations I can make to the sendmail.cf file so that the
> outgoing mail looks like it comes from foo at inetnow.net instead of
> foo at mybox.inetnow.net? I figured its trivial but I can get the answer a lot
> quicker on htis mailing list than trudging through the sendmail man pages.

You need to setup a generics map file that maps your internal address into
the desired outgoing address. Then you need to build a sendmail.cf file
that knows what to look for the generics map file.

Look in the bat book under generics for more info.

I have a m4 file that I used to build my setup if you want to take a
look at it.
--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		  X/CDE/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.