[ale] Re: Linux can't see modem (ongoing saga)

Jim Philips rebus at mindspring.com
Wed May 13 21:41:54 EDT 1998

It is an internal modem and the Winmodem works fine on that port (in Windows, of
course). With the USR Sportster installed I tried "echo ATA>/dev/modem". That
gets a click from the modem and nothing else. Under DOS, I tried the equivalent
command "echo ATA > com2". That got the same result. So, I know I am talking to
the modem on that port. But the USR Sportster seems unable to respond in either
OS.