[ale] Re: Linux can't see modem (ongoing saga)

Jim rebus at mindspring.com
Wed May 13 19:50:27 EDT 1998

I determined that the modem I was trying to use was a Winmodem. This took
some searching as their was no documentation. Now I am trying to use a USR
Sportster 33.6 which works fine in Linux and Windows on my old box.
However, on the new box it doesn't work in Linux OR Windows. I try
installing on port 2, IRQ 3. Windows says its there, but it won't work.
Linux recognizes SOMETHING on that port, but it won't dial at all. I am at
a loss for how to proceed. What searches can I execute in Linux or Windows
to tell me where the OS sees a modem? When Win95 does its automatic search
for modems or new hardware, it doesn't see anything there whatsoever. Yet
the modem works fine on my old box and I'm using it now.  This task has
been eating my brain for almost 2 weeks. I'm ready to try anything.
ANYBODY?