[ale] /proc/mtrr anyone?

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 13 18:44:11 EDT 1998

	Today, I decided to give the 2.1.x series a shot and compiled up
2.1.101. In looking through /proc, then reading up in
linux/Documentation/mtrr.txt, I got the impression that by following the
example set forth in "mtrr.txt", one could "...increase performance of
image write operations 2.5 times or more." So, I gave it a shot:

	#echo "base=0x80000000 size=0x20000000 type=write-combining" >
/proc/mtrr
	$startx

	Now for the reason of my posting. Has anyone else done this? I
could swear that I _have_ noticed a difference in the rate at which
screens are drawn now. Am I just making this up, or does anyone know if
this is a true (yet damned easy) way to optimize an X server's performance
under 2.1.x? (using a PPro or PII too, of course). Such an easy, speed
optimization seems almost too good to be true, but then again, Linux has
amazed me many a' time before.

	Can anyone confirm that using /proc/mtrr as an easy "quick and
dirty" speed optimization for X servers under linux?

							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/