[ale] Linux can't see modem

Jim Philips rebus at mindspring.com
Sun May 10 22:23:01 EDT 1998

Thanks to Christopher.

I made some progress. The modem is a plug 'n play device. I went through all the
docs on isapnp and set up an isapnp.conf file. The device is now recognized at
bootup. And after all that, it doesn't behave any differently when I actually
try to use it.

And it turns out there is a diagnostic tool in Win95 (imagine that!). Go to the
control panel and click on modems. There is a tab called "Diagnostics". You can
select the modem and click on "More Info". If the modem is not busy, it will
dump information from several Hayes commands. Nothing about Winmodem. It does
say that it's plug 'n play.

Anyway, I know a little more about what ISN'T the problem.