[ale] Linux can't see modem

Jim Philips rebus at mindspring.com
Sun May 10 17:33:28 EDT 1998

Ahh...the joys of setting up a new computer! I have solved all my other
hardware problems, but Linux is having trouble seeing my modem. It is a
no-name modem that came with the computer, a Quantex 333mhz. No
documentation, so I don't know if it's a dreaded "Winmodem". Port number
and IRQ are standard at port 2 and IRQ 3. Minicom never manages to
initialize. It just sits there. I used setserial to refine port settings
and everything is correct. As a test, I tried installing the modem that
worked on my old computer. Minicom just crawled through the init string,
but wouldn't finish and I couldn't dial. I am at a dead end. Are there
any diagnostics I can run to tell me what is happening? I'll settle for
diagnostics in Windows that would tell me whether or not this is a
Winmodem. Win95's Hyperterminal seems like a useless beast in this
situation.