[ale] modem and things

Jim Lynch jwl at dogwood.peachtree.sgi.com
Fri May 8 08:34:18 EDT 1998

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

I think you meed to add everyone that is authorized to access the modem
to one group, possibly tty.  I don't know Red Hat, but that's what
Debian seems to want.  Then make sure that the /dev/ttyS1 device
group is tty (chgrp tty /dev/ttys1).

To setup a modem to answer requires you to configure mgetty correctly.
(I think)
I don't recall the details, but there should be documentation somewhere.
It's been a long time since I did it.  There was another *getty that
supported dial-in too, I think, but I don't recall what it was.
Better let someone else help you with that one.

Jim.

> Ok, I set up my modem and it seems that its working ok with dialing when
> i'm root.  when i login with a personal acct other then root it tells me
> permission error.  i checked the file in the /etc/minicom.allow and it
> says All under configuration.
>
> how do i set everyone's global use of minicom.
>
> also, while on the subject of modems; I want to login to my linux box over
> the phone line, how do i start or check to see if the process is working.
>
> i have redhat kernel 2.x.27, my modem is connected on /dev/ttyS1 (com2).
>
> Thanks
> Moe

> *  This message was sent to you from the terminal of:                  *
> *                                                                      *
> *                                                                      *
> *                    ////  ////     /////    ///////                   *
> *                    //  //  //    //   //   //                        *
> * http://heart.engr.csulb.edu/~mfrancis                                *

Jim Lynch, SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269