[ale] SuSE 5.2 and OSS sound support

Mike Pennell mikep at cc.gatech.edu
Sun May 3 15:32:42 EDT 1998

    I've been trying to get open sound to work with the new suse 5.2
distribution with no luck. I can't seem to stop the kernel from loading
sound support that interferes with OSS's install, so when OSS attempts to
recompile the sndshield it always fails. In particular vivosynth.o, midi.o,
and a couple of others are loaded. I can't find anyway to stop native sound
support during the install for suse. If anyone is familiar with this process
or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike Pennell