[ale] Overlay and linux

geary geary at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 1 14:59:40 EDT 1998

> Lilo IS an option with an overlay disk manager.  Up until recently I
> was running lilo on a 6.4 EIDE drive with no problems.  I have since
> upgraded motherboards.  The key to running lilo (since the kernels
> are aware of the overlay programs) is to specify drive parameters
> in the lilo.conf file.  These parameters vary according to how the
> drive is translated by the kernel.  Re-read the lilo howtos and the
> big (large) disk howtos.  It is time consuming, yes, but not
> impossible.  I like the ability to protect my machine with Lilo
> passwords and multiple boot images.  My two cents.
>
> Dan

  So you had Lilo and a 6.4 GB drive working.  Several people have
pointed out that you don't need an overlay to do that.  The ques is
did you get 95 or some other LBA requiring OS to work with just
lilo or lilo and an overlay?  I am relatively sure that the Maxtor
overlay, for example, requires control of the MBR and will not
co-exist with lilo.
    -geary
--
|   Carl Geary Scherer, Jr.    Senior CS |     geary at cc.gatech.edu   |