[ale] suse distribution

Elijah Underwood elijahu at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 24 11:08:56 EDT 1998

> Would you care to ellaborate on 'horrendously buggy?'  The install, the
> kernel, what?  I've got 5.0 on two boxes, and although I had some small
> glitches during install, I've found it to be very stable.

Perhaps I was too strong in my condimnation of 5.0. "buggy" and not
"horrendously buggy" how about.

Kernels were fine, but I had been used to using Debian (and dselect). I found
the install procedure to be rather problematic (it would actually crash and
cause me to have to reboot. no linux install should do that). RPM's I
disliked at first (I'm still not to crazy about them.) Little things bugged
me about 5.0, in particular the fact that unless you were paying close
attention (and an experianced user) when you installed Metro-X it WOULD NOT
work. This was because gpm is selected to run on start-up by default. It took
me a while to track that down, my fault, I know, but still it was damn
annoying.

To it's credit, once I had it up and had switched it's x server off of that
abomination that is fvwm95 (why would you--assuming that you are using linux
willingly :)--want to imitate win95?), ran fairly stable. Many of RedHat's
"administrator" tools didn't work right, but could be worked around.Also, in
fairness, SuSE's installation has crashed on me before, but only on
particularly peculiar hardware set-ups.

> Would you care to ellaborate on 'redneck language support?'

RH 5.1 offers "redneck" language support. When you install, choose "Redneck"
from the list of languages. I laughed my ass off.

> Based on the stuff I've seen on the RedHat install list, 5.1 appears to
> be causing more grief than 5.0.

That's possible. As I said I haven't installed 5.1 on one of my own machines
yet. (I installed it on someone elses' w/o problem --using the redneck
support.) I don't doubt that it has some problems, but all of the distro's
have SOME problems (often the problem is the user . I know it is often my
distro's problem :) I plan on putting it on my system at home soon, so I'll
see then.

> Get Windows CE and watch Windows crash in the palm of your hand...

 Just say no to CE. PalmPilot's rock.