[ale] suse distribution

Elijah Underwood elijahu at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 24 10:33:25 EDT 1998

I made pretty much the switch you are talking about.

I was using RH 5.0 which I found horrendously buggy. I'm purchased RH
5.1 at the same time as I received a demo CD of SuSE (at the LinuxExpo).

I've never gotten around to installing RH 5.1. I fell in love w/ SuSE.
The Yast configuration is WONDERFUL. (okay, so it doesn' have "redneck"
language support, but it's otherwise far superior to the RH installation
--with the notable exception of the LILO configurator).

I've also installed several "for RedHat" applications on my SuSE box
(namely ApplixWare !) and they work fine. The only thing reason I'd try
RH 5.1 (besides the reason that I paid for it) is to see how well
GNOME works. SuSE comes with KDE, which I'm not too crazy about. From
what I hear 5.1 is much more stable than RH 5.0 was.

I've been running stably for a week or so (rebooting for hardware
failures, kernel recompiles and to :-( switch temporarily into Win95 ),
which is a good record for me (I went through 3 serious hard-drives
failures in two weeks last month.) I'm only using fvwm2, but I've
spruced it up a bit with tkDesk and a couple of custom changes.