[ale] stairsteps

William Mahavier wsm at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Jun 6 20:04:56 EDT 1998

>	ahahahahahaha, this is so funny because I just had this same problem
>whith a name dot matrix printer.  in thw howto's it tells you
>that if you get those staircased lines you need to use a filter and its gunana
>say no daemon present but it will still print to it.  The lpr thing on why it
>might not be working may have something to do with the permissions.  Try setting
>/dev/lpr1 <-- /dev/lp1 to chmod 0666 /dev/lp1 or whatever you use and that
>might clear up the problem.

This is not entended as a flame. Just an observation. I had the same
stairstep problem and never solved it. I have been a unix/linus user
for 15 years. I had slackware umsdos on my notebook. X-windows and
latex and printing worked fine. Ale suggested I should partition my
disc. I did that on my aptiva and installed slackware. I never got
x-window to work, I can print only to my postcript printer with
dvips, and x-windows does not work. I posted to ale and got little
help. Except to suggest I install redhat. I bought a redhat boxed
set with manual and disc. Redhat says it supports my scsi card but
it did not. After much effort I tried an ftp install using a borrowed
ethernet card. I got redhat installed on my old (umsdos) notebook.
Now x-windows does not work. I cannot mount my scsi.cdrom or my syquest.
I do not know if I can use either of my printers or not.

I posted asking if someone could tell me how much space was needed
for a minimum install of redhat. I got no response. My first install
failed because it ran out of space. The redhat manual said one needed
50 megs. I alloted 200 megs. My second install was only the *'ed
packages, latex and xwindows. It took all but about 5 megs. I have
read most of the LDP, the redhat.faq and the redhat manual. RTFM
does not help beginners.

Ale seems to becoming more a hackers group. I am sorry to say
that I will probably try to download latex for windows95 and use that.
I regret that windows is winning but it is your problem.

Surely some of you gurus know how to solve the stairstep problem and
how much space redhat takes. Please do not recommend a filter you have
not tried.