[ale] Laptop Recommendation

Glynn Black blackgr at glynn.play.org
Tue Jun 2 22:54:27 EDT 1998

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT the first of this year for around
$2K. P133, 16M RAM but expandable to 128M, 1.34GIG HD. The screen is only
capable of 800x600x1.6M color though. Two PCMCIA slots and a non-PCMCIA modem.

To my surprise Red Hat 5.0 installed with ease, but I wiped Windows 95 and
installed Linux only. Metro-X came up with X-Windows first attempt. 1.34GIG is
a bit smallish for dual boot but poses no problem for my use. The floppy drive
is external but can be swapped out with the CDROM drive.

You may want to pay close attention to the LCD display on what you do purchase
for they are not all created equal. I suspect you'll have to dig a bit deeper
in the pocket for 1024x768. Would have preferred the floppy drive to
buildin but otherwise happy with my purchase.

Glynn Black	blackgr at worldnet.att.net