[ale] smart config?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Wed Jan 21 10:39:04 EST 1998

> On 20 Jan, Robert L Harris wrote:
> > Good idea.  how about a compile time option for mem so we don't have to
> > remember the append="mem=128M" or something similar?
>
> Adding it to lilo.conf doesn't work?

No, this does work, but I don't have a good memory and trying to set it up
for a new machine or a friend after I haven't done it in months is not too
easy.

> > i've had no bugs.  I was primarily wondering if there might be a performance
> > increase...
>
> Probably.  I can usually tell when I forgot to turn it off because
> running the resulting kernel is slower.  Of course, half the time I can
> tell because my machine won't boot ;-).

I've actually not had any problems leaving it in.  It's a P150 laptop
so I want as much speed as possible.  I'm even REAL close to pulling
windows off it completely.

Robert L. Harris          |   NT is secure....
System Engineer For Hire. \_   as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: