[ale] CDROM - where is it?

J.Anthony Smith anthony.smith at chemistry.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 15 06:23:14 EST 1998

Huong Q. Dinh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've seen a lot of messages about CDROMs - wish I had read them all.
> I know that at some point Linux must have been able to read my CDROM
> because I installed it from a Slackware CD.  I can't recall anymore
> which device directory it is.  I have a /CDROM directory, but when
> I do a listing on it with the Linux cd in the drive, nothing is listed.
> I have an IDE CDROM, which device directory under /dev do you think
> it might be.
>
> Additionally, when I boot up Linux, it gives me a NO CDROM message,
> and when I run setup and try to scan for an IDE drive, it tells me
> that it can't find one.  I'm quite sure it isn't the CDROM drive
> because it's fine under Windows.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.  thanks,
> - Quynh (quynh at cc.gatech.edu)

A few questions: Is your cdrom an ATAPI device? If so, is its controller on
your motherboard or part of a soundcard? Also are you using the same kernel
as you did for installation? I am happy to help so if you have an answer
for these questions I (and I'm sure many other people in this group) will
do what we can to help you.
Anthony Smith
anthony.smith at chemsitry.gatech.edu