[ale] Sharing NFS /home and /usr

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 13 19:03:26 EST 1998

On 13 Jan, Brad Dixon wrote:
> I'm getting a computer that I want to be able to run linux occassionally.
> I alerady have a computer with linux installed. Will this setup on the new
> computer work:
>
> Device:		Mounted as:	Type:
> /dev/hda1 	/		IDE
> old:/home	/home		NFS
> old:/usr	/usr		NFS
>
> I know sharing /home will work. Will sharing /usr between two intel Redhat
> computers work? What about RPM?

It should work, as long as you run the same (so that library issues
won't bite you), preferably current (so it will closely track the file
layout standard), linux distribution on both.  I usually run with /usr
ro on my home server, which would seem to indicate that it won't be a
problem to do something like what you want.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker