[ale] X in 16 or 32bpp?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Thu Feb 5 13:01:49 EST 1998

> Robert L Harris wrote:
> >
> > I finally got XFree86 working on my AST laptop.  My problem now is that
> > it's running at 800x600 (I can live with that) at 8bpp color (256) which
> > is sad.  How would I try and force it to 16?  I've modified my XF86Config
> > file to add a 16bpp section, but can't get it to use it.  Anyone got
> > any ideas?  My video adapter is 2Meg.
>
> Have you tried the cntl-alt-[+-] combination to switch between
> resolutions?

This doesn't work for me.  It might be that my keypad+/- requires
the function key also, but it don't work.

> Check out the output from the X startup, it may be that you don't have
> any valid modes for that particular bpp.

They are there,  it seems that "startx -- -bpp 16" starts it in 16bpp
mode...

Robert L. Harris          |   NT is secure....
System Engineer For Hire. \_   as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: