[ale] Swap Limited to 130Megs?

Robert L Harris nomad at rocky.orci.com
Tue Feb 3 22:25:50 EST 1998

It's kinda a hold over, I was trying to move it and resize my paritions.
The only thing I could do, was clean it up alot, then copy my small partition
to a smaller one (about 400 megs), resize the bigger one, mkfs it then copy
the small one back to the big one.  If I could grow the ext2 filesystem
I'd be happy with about 60-120Meg swap, but no-one can tell me how
to make it larger.

> Sorry I can't give you a technical reason for not being able to create such a
> huge swap space, but I did want to ask why so big? Basically, you're only
> using it for swapping out from memory that excess amount of the total of your
> running programs. If running multiple copies of the same program, you don't
> really double or triple the amount of memory used, since your shared libraries
> will exist only once. So you'd have to be running something like 30 or 40
> progs (or more) at the same time.
>
> I've heard 2 good rules of thumb: Use ps to see the amount of memory each prog
> will use, then add them up and fudge a couple meg. That should be about the
> total memory+swap you would need. An easier one is to just have a total of
> about 64meg memory+swap.
>
> But, hey, if that's what you're doing, you must have a reason.
>
> Matt
>
> Robert L Harris wrote:
>
> > I have a redhat5.0 machine.  I can't get a swap partition that'll
> > run bigger than 130Megs, even if I specify # of blocks.  did
> > I miss something?

Robert L. Harris          |   NT is secure....
System Engineer For Hire. \_   as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER: