[ale] Re: modules fail symbol lookup

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Tue Dec 22 16:53:49 EST 1998

Someone was asking about problems after installing the
modutils-2.1.121 with kernel symbols not being recognized.

I just upgraded a slackware (old) box to use the 2.1.131.  I upgraded
all the stuff mentioned in the 'Changes' file, but kept getting the
same errors when I tried to load in modules I had built.

After a lot of pain upgrading to the latest binutils + the latest
libc5 + the latest everything else mentioned in the Changes file
(except I didn't upgrade gcc past 2.7.2)

ld -v
GNU ld version 2.9.1 (with BFD 2.9.1.0.19)

and I recomiled modutils after booting the 2.1.131 kernel.

the trick that did it for me was to install glibc2.0.7pre6.  Now my
modules are loading!

It takes a long time to compile glibc and it gave me the jitters, but
it went pretty smoothly by following the glibc2 howto.

Actually, the c++ compiler is now broken, and the libg++2.7.2.8 has
been removed from all the ftp sites (darn!)  but I can live with it.

Also - thanks to Chris Ricker for keeping the Changes file up to date!
It would be impossible to upgrade without it!

-Eric.