[ale] Framebuffer question

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 18 23:10:58 EST 1998

I have a question regarding framebuffers in 2.1.x kernels, in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt it says that you need to
mknod /dev/fb*, then link it to /dev/fb*current. My question is in the
kernel docs it says you need to use major 29, then the minor number is the
number of the device (by this I would assume /dev/fb0 would be 29, 0) but
in the txt file I referenced above it shows to add 32 to the minor number
w/ each device like /dev/fb0 is 29, 0, and /dev/fb1 would be 29, 32,
/dev/fb3 29, 64 etc. Does anyone know? Also When I try to cp /dev/fb*
fbtest it says cp: /dev/fb0: Operation not supported by device I used
mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0 (I think), But I know I made it a character device.
Anyone know?

Thanks

Nick