[ale] starting programming

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Dec 16 08:07:51 EST 1998

Joe wrote:

> Oops, I guess I should have :-)'d that little quip.
> But seriously, I spent a few days last month peer-reviewing
> some C++ code produced by veteran C hackers who thought
> they understood OO, and I'll tell you, it stank. We had to
> throw it all away and rewrite the whole product from scratch...
> Unfortunately, we didn't do so (think Dilbert here), and now
> some really bright people are wasting their time debugging it.
>
> -- Joe Knapka

The point is valid to the extent that you should not expect to code C++
the way you code C.  I wouldn't go as far as to say ANY good C
programmer could not be a good C++ programmer.  I know quite a few.
Point is, you really have to have a good understanding of OO concepts,
otherwise you'll end up like above.  For a C programmer, you have to
start with a clean slate, forget how you code C and start from scratch.
You've got to understand the paradigm, otherwise you're screwed.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????