[ale] Sabre 0.2.3 flight sim game

frank zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Sun Dec 6 22:29:50 EST 1998

>On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Nick Lucent wrote:
>
>> get the compiled version from
>> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/games? and use
>> alien to convert it
>
>Um, no, don't do that.  Caldera is libc5, while Debian is libc6 (glibc2), so
>it's not going to work.

I was kinda wondering about that. Thus I assume it wouldn't work on RH 5.1
then either, right? Which was going to be my next attempt on another
machine! :-O

>If you're going to snag a pre-compiled copy from a distribution, try SuSE
>5.3 (not 6.0) or Slackware.  I don't know if they come with sabre, though.
>
>Alternately, if you post exactly what the error is you get when you try to
>compile, somebody might be able to help you figure out how to compile it
>yourself.

Okay, I'll see if I can output the compile to file. Uh, can I get that from
stder -- which I only vaguely understand anyway! -- and if so, how? (TIA
for your patience!)

>FWIW, I was able to convince it to compile, but that was on a glibc2 box
>with egcs 1.1 and libstdc++ 2.9....  Hang on....
>
>Okay, I've put a statically linked copy of it up on the web.  Snarf it from
>http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/kaboom/linux/sabre.gz .  I can't guarantee that
>it'll work (SVGAlib doesn't work with my G200 so I can't try it), but it
>should.  You may have to install some data files or something yourself

Cool. Thanks again.

>though; I didn't really check.  Also, since you have to run it as root,
>you'd better trust me ;-).

Hmmm... well, I guess if ya can't trust Lug members, well shoot, who CAN ya
trust anymore? (Besides, I kidnapped your dog first, just in case! <G> Nah,
not really, he didn't like the steak!)

Frank