[ale] Linux @ Sun and the demise of Solaris-x86

cutter cutter at gloster.vivid.net
Tue Aug 4 22:30:57 EDT 1998

Vernard Martin wrote:

> >   In addition, I was talking with some guys at sun.  It appears that
> > they're going to do away with Solarix x86 and instead push/support
> > Linux...
>
> I hate to say this Robert but if yo believe that then you are greener than I
> thought :-)
>
> Sun has no intention of dropping Solaris for the x86 and pushing linux in its
> stead. That would make no sense from their perspective.

It is worse than that...

My brother is a 'Distinguished Engineer' at Sun. Howz 'at for a weird
title?

It seems that at a meeting very recently in Oregon, some unfortunate
Engineer suggested that they might substitute increase the pool of
experienced Solaris admins, and increase loyalty to Solaris by offering
Solaris for the x86 for free. All of us Linux users would switch to the
'better' Solaris and ultimately lead to more sales for Sun of its work
stations and servers. He was publicly berated and humiliated in front of
the entire audience of fellow engineers.

In the long run, it probably would have been a good idea for Sun.