[ale] Getting agetty to answer the phone

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Mon Aug 3 18:08:43 EDT 1998

I've got an ancient pc which I installed the Iron Wing derivative of
Slackware to make sure that some networking hardware was working. While I
had it up, I decided to try enabling a dialin login with the included
agetty. I tried, I failed, and now it has become a point of pride. I have
never setup dial in stuff before, and never dealt with agetty either.
I'd consider it an accomplishment to get this running.

I've scanned the agetty entry in "Linux in a Nutshell", and the serial
howto. I can get the modem (it is internal 28.8, but I'm not sure of the
manufacturer anymore) to pickup or to announce "RING" when I point minicom
at ttyS1. However, agetty sits there like a bump on the line irrespective
of how I setup the modem.

Does anyone know what agetty is looking for to start the login process?
Failing that, I'd appreciate some debugging ideas (there doesn't seem to
be anything in the logs, but that might just mean that I looked in the
wrong place again.)

It is good to have enemies,
Ememies will spend enough time to help.
Friends are too busy.