[ale] mindspring and ppp

Geoffrey Myers geof at abraxis.com
Tue Sep 9 10:41:42 EDT 1997

ircbob (dave chow) wrote:

> hi..  i have been trying for awhile now, to get ppp to work w/ my
> mindspring account...
>
> i had been reading the PPP howto's... trying to get it up n going..  i
> recompiled the kernel last nite, 2.0.30 w/ ppp (2.0f) support.... (using
> the redhat4.2 distribution) ...
>
> i put in my username  and password, dialup to mindspring (4046541300),
> it puts the correct information out there, but mindspring returns
> 'invalid login' (or some message like that)...
>
> i also tried using minicom, to test the username / password.. same
> result...
>
> i know the username /pw works, cuz it works in Win95's DUN..
>
> what am i missing?
>
> thanks for your help,
>
>   -dave

There's bound to be some Mindspring users out there that can help you,
unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :(  It is possible that they are
using PAP or CHAP authentication, which you will need to find out from
them.  Once you do, check out the HOWTO's on setting up the particular
auth. they are using.  I've set up both PAP and CHAP on my machine, but
not for Mindspring.  Once you find out what they are using and if you
don't get better help somewhere else, let me know and I'll see if I can
assist you.  Good luck.
--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at abraxis.com	http://www.abraxis.com/geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....