[ale] Installation Woes

Patrick W. Jones PWJ at newcomb-boyd.com
Tue Oct 28 03:22:29 EST 1997

First the system:
AST Bravo MS-T/P90
1.2Gig HD on the primary IDE
Torisan (Sanyo) IDE 4X CDRom on the secondary IDE
SMC EthernetEZ Card
SIIG EIDE controller card
Trident 1M VGA ISA video

Second the problems:
RedHat 4.2 gives 'received error 11' or something and shuts down.
Slackware gives many 'corrupt file' errors but keeps going.  The
files are not corrupt because I was able to open them on another
system. NT Server didn't give any errors except twice the CD started
'clicking' but was able to continue with no other problems.

Now the question:
Why?  Well, let me be more specific.  Is there something in the
kernel or installation scripts that doesn't allow one to
continue or retry the CD or do they just stop at any little
problem?  Is NT Server just too stupid to realize that the CDRom
is damaged?  Any suggestions beyond doing a floppy install?
In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam."

Patrick Jones
Newcomb & Boyd
pwj at newcomb-boyd.com