[ale] Bills mistake?

tfreeman tfreeman at vnet.net
Wed Oct 22 13:25:50 EDT 1997

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Marc A. Torres wrote:

> > Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > Anyone got any uptodate news on Bill vs. The DOJ and it's $1Mill/day
> > fine?
>
> 	As I understand this no fine is actually being charged YET.
> 	The DOJ filed a brief with a Judge and asked him to find that
> 	MS was in violation of a 1995 concent decree.
>
> 	If the judge decides they are in violation, then the Judge
> 	can levy a fine, the DOJ suggested $1M a day.
>
> 	Lots of legal paperwork will be shuffeled before any money
> 	is ever seen by the DOJ...
>
> 	Marc Torres
> 	marct at mindspring.com
Without commenting yea/nay on the legal issues - the way Microsoft runs on
a cash basis, and with their cash reserves, I'd tend to beleive that
Microsoft can put a lot more pressure on DOJ than the other way around. I
hope that the judge on this case moves a lot more quickly than most of his
colleagues in similar disputes.

Just my cynical 2 cents.