[ale] Job Posting

Britt Kinsler bkinsler at realminfo.com
Mon Oct 20 13:17:57 EDT 1997

William & Robert,
As the VP of R&D at Realm Information Technologies, I would like to
offer my opinion on the compensation of this posted position.  I believe
that it would be beneficial for all concerned if I had the opportunity
to justify our posting.

The focus appears to have been singularly focused on the base salary
component.  The individual bonus aspect adds about $4,000.  In our
company history, our entire technical staff earned 100% of their bonus,
which is basically paid for doing the job right.  The company bonus
enables all the employees to share in the success of the company.  Our
company is currently on target for hitting our sales objectives, which
adds another $15,000 to the compensation.  Additionally, Realm provides
Health Insurance without any paycheck contribution for single coverage.
Family coverage is available for the marginal difference.  In addition,
a 401-K retirement program is offered.

As a smaller company, Realm has some advantages over larger companies
and government.  First, we are committed to the Linux product and
community (something rarely found in the corporate sector).  Secondly,
each person has influence in the strategic direction of the company and
is rewarded based on their own actual performance.  Lastly, employees
will have the option of owning employee stock when offered.

There also seems to be some confusion on the responsibilities of this
position.  This position is not a System's Administrators position.  It
is "technical support, tests of hardware compatibility and performance,
server production,
and quality assurance testing".  I too agree that an experienced Linux
System's administrator's compensation would exceed this position's
compensation.  However, this position offers the candidate an
opportunity to grow into System's Administration or Research &
Development.  Realm strongly believes in promoting from within when the
appropriate skill set is available.

In closing, both of your skill sets appear to "over qualify" you for
this position.  We are always looking for excellent candidates and I
would like to suggest that you send me your resume with a cover letter
stating your compensation requirements.  If we continue to hit our sales
goals, other positions will become available.

Lastly, if you have any further questions about this position, please
e-mail me directly (bkinsler at realminfo.com) and I will be happy to give
you my private phone number to further discuss this position.

Thanks,
Britt Kinsler
VP Research & Development