[ale] ghostscript problems

Glynn Black blackgr at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 18 10:21:54 EDT 1997

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> I've got ghostscript, ghostview and nenscript installed.  I'm doing just
> what you do, pulling a postscript file into ghostview and selecting the
> print option.   What printer configuration tool are you referring to?  I've
> just now located the control panel and the printer configuration, so maybe
> I'm on my way.  I didn't know it even existed.
>
> In my previous Slackware install environment, I had ghostview and
> ghostscript installed and they enabled me to print, in color from ghostview,
> netscape, whatever.  This included printing a troff->postscript document via
> "lpr -Pbjc600.24.3  file.ps."  I still use troff quite a bit.

The printer configuration tool apparently builds printcap for you. As
long as you are running X-Windows (or unless you're seeking punishment)
you never have to touch printcap.

If the printer configuration doesn't clear the problem up then the
only other thing I could suggest is to re-install the ghostscript
stuff using rpm manually from the command line and watch carefully for
error messages for clues to what might have gone wrong during
installation.

If you are using the glint package manager, I initially found it to be
a source of confusion, because I could never find a way to view
dependency and other messages. It would appear to go through the
motions of installing but not necessarily.

I tend to use glint for a visual indication of what is installed and
exploring RedHat's contrib/ mirror on InfoMagics Linux Resource disks.
When I actually install I mount the installation CD, go into mc,
highlight the package I'm interested in and then enter rpm [options]
%f" at the mc command line (saves a lot of typing.) If you see rpm
draw the characters across the screen you know the package was
installed. If you're returned to mc without seeing this, exit mc and
look at the error messages. You may be able to pipe the output of rpm
through less and avoid exiting mc; I haven't tried this. You can also
highlight a package and hit <ENTER> to view the contents and
description of the package. Handy.

Glynn Black	blackgr at worldnet.att.net