[ale] Motif(?) color problems

John Straw straw19 at idt.net
Wed Oct 8 18:02:39 EDT 1997

I recently installed a new video card and now I'm having trouble with
applications statically linked against Motif.

The details: I used to run XFree86 at 8 bpp (PseudoColor).  Now I have a
Matrox Mystique 220 with 4 MB, and I'm trying to run XFree86 3.3.1 at 24 bpp
(TrueColor).  Everything is fine, except my Netscape Navigator 3.0 refuses to
display colors for its toolbar buttons (they show up all black), its status
window, and security key icon.  Also, my Progress V7 Motif client also doesn't
seem to deal well with the new display depth -- it wants to display black on
black in the entire window.

This behavior persists for all color depths except 8 bpp.

The fact that Netscape and Progress are the only applications I run which are
statically linked against Motif, and in addition that Progress allows the user
to define 256 colors to use internally, make me suspect that Motif has a
problem with the new color depth.  However, it certainly could be something
else.

Has anybody else had any experiences running XFree86 with more than 256 colors
which might be relevant to this problem?

--
John Straw                                                       straw19 at idt.net