[ale] Limiting TCP/IP speed to a certain host

Chris Farris chris at zathras.shorty.com
Sun Oct 5 15:15:01 EDT 1997

> > ?
> >
> > If that won't help, I'm open for suggestions on how to discourage this
> > host from using X apps remotely and put it under the guise of a
> > "network
> > problem". I know this sounds a little weird, but I've got a good
> > reason.
> >
> Ok, wild suggestion:
>
> - Take 2 serial ports connected together with appropriate NULL modem,
> running PPP.
> - Route said user's IP range out one PPP port,
> - All traffic from the other serial PPP port goes to the said sub-net
> you want to run slow.
> - Manage how much bandwidth they get via setting the baud rate on the
> back to back
>   serial ports: 1200 baud through 115Kb

Thats incredably evil. I love it. Hey robbie..... :)

I don't know of a way to do dyanmic bandwith under linux. I'd filter out
bound traffic on the X ports (around 6000, but netstat should give
extact ones) to said host. System Security would be my excuse.

The command would look something like

ipfwadm -O -a -p deny -S {your IP}/32 -D {said IP}/32 6000-8000

But refer to the ipfwadm man page, for more accurate info.

Chris

--
FBI: This is what I think of your fucking Encryption Laws.
#-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----