[ale] Anything MS touches....

scott.lewis at ce.gatech.edu scott.lewis at ce.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:04:26 EDT 1997

On  1 Oct, Robert L Harris wrote:
> This was just mailed to our help desk at Lockheed:

> Upon attempting to exit wabi just now I got this little pop up window
> that says:
>
> You are infected with MDMA_DMV. Brought to you by MDMA (Many Delinquent
> Modern Anarchists)
>
> With an OK button.
>
> I'm not going to make a move untill I get some instruction.
>
> HELP!
>
> Eric

McAfee has a virus scanner that works with Linux, with other UNIX
system versions available.  I have used it on Linux and a Solaris box
that was used as a NFS server for a PC lab.  Worked flawlessly,
especially when you write a script to scan automatically, take the
output and do something useful with it.  (ie mail a list of any viruses
found, and the action taken to yourself)  My advice: hit OK, download
VirusScan for whatever platform, set up some simple scripts, set up a
cronjob, and sit back and relax.  MDMA shouldn't be able to do anything
horrible, especially to a UNIX box, but be sure to scan all of your MS
stuff.  Here is the URL:
	http://www.mcafee.com/down/vscandown.asp
Good luck!

--

Scott Lewis
Computer Support-Geosystems and Materials Laboratory