[ale] YAY! (or, why I love Linux (tonight :))

Charles W. Binko cwb at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 25 19:53:34 EST 1997

> Very enjoyable story, especially that it has a happy ending.
>
> BTW: you have any interest in my 2 170Mb disks and 2 200Mb disks.  All
> SCSI I.
>
> I'd be very happy to give these disks to anyone who wants them.
>
> If this story of why more disks for an install makes for faster failure
> recovery, all
> 700Mb of these disks should result in very fast to recover system
> indeed.

Don't tempt me :)

Seriously, if I had a scsi controller, I'd take you up on that.  I've found
that having three medium speed disks is MUCH faster than one fast one! (my
friend has a Maxtor 7GB DMA33 drive (which rocks!) but the fact is that since
his swap is on the same drive as / which is on the same drive as /tmp etc etc,
it is actually considerably slower than 3 500MB Caviars. (of course, he has
all that room, but...:)  I'm actually considering putting SCSI in this box
right now.  I'd like a SCSI zip drive, and if I do that I might just take you
up on the offer.  (hell, I'd do it just for the backup :)

Anyway, I picked up an unused 3.5GB Quantum IDE at work, and I'm going to
re-install Linux 2.0.31 on it when I get the time (that is, after
Thanksgiving).  For now, I'm plodding along on 1.2.13 (I never realized the
performance improvements until I went back :)

Thanks!
Binko

C. William Binko			         All Statements are
cwb at mindspring.com				 My own.
cwbinko at trcinc.com        finger cwb at mindspring.com for public PGP key