[ale] IP-Subnetworking

Michael Ivey mivey at realminfo.com
Tue Nov 25 14:28:49 EST 1997

I'm about to split up a Class C, and none of the HOWTO's or docs seem to
have considered what I'm considering.  Am I just nuts to try this?

What I need is a 4bit subnet (/30) to be outside my firewall.  I'll have
to split my network up to do this.  So, I figured I'd do a /25 (126
hosts, IIRC), split the other /25 into 2 /26's, split one of those into
2 /27's, etcetc:

/25
/26
/27
/28
/29
/30
/30

So...is this possible?  If so, how the heck do I begin figuring the
netmask/number of hosts, etc?

Thanks.

/michael
:wq

Michael Ivey                             <mivey at realminfo.com>
Senior Technical Manager        REALM Information Technologies
(770) 446-1332 x 114                  http://www.realminfo.com