[ale] YAY! (or, why I love Linux (tonight :))

Charles W. Binko cwb at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 25 00:53:49 EST 1997

Ok, this starts out really bad: my main Linux drive just took a header.  It
won't even be recognized at boot time.  REALLY bad!

However, this is why I love Linux.  I made the unusually brilliant move about
2 years ago to create separate partitions for /home, /usr/local, /usr/X11R6,
and /project (my work stuff) on disks /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc.  I don't know
what came over me!  I also followed a strict habit of installing all new
software into /usr/local (and removing the originals from /usr when they were
still there).

About a month ago, I finally decided to upgrade from 1.2.13 to 2.0.31.  Since
I'm a cheap bastard, and refuse to buy a decent disk (why, when there are all
these crappy 300-800 MB ones lying around :), I put it on a new 540 Caviar
(replacing a 340 :), and simply remounted those directories.

I thought I was hot shit... a complete upgrade in under 2 hours, with all of
my data still there.

Today was much better.  I pulled out the 540, put in the 340, and I'm up and
running!  Ok, I had to make a new LILO floppy, but who cares!

Tomorrow, I buy the new Maxtor 7GB DMA disk (I finally broke down and upgraded
my DX 50 to a K6 200 with DMA support :).  However, /home/ and /project are
staying on the slow 540 they live on now :)

Just thought I'd share in case there are any out there with just one Linux
partition!

Binko
C. William Binko			         All Statements are
cwb at mindspring.com				 My own.
cwbinko at trcinc.com        finger cwb at mindspring.com for public PGP key