[ale] Update On Netscape prob.

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 24 00:38:51 EST 1997

On 23 Nov, Robert L Harris wrote:
> Ok,
>   That would seem to make some sense.  Do we know if it'll be out
> of read-only mode any time soon?
>
> Robert
>>

>> Now that I think about it, the problem is probably that the version of
>> vfat you are using doesn't support writing to files yet.  I've heard of
>> that as a restriction...

At least here (here being 2.1.65+spiffier_pentium_bug_patch or
2.0.32+fat32/joliet
patch+spiffier_pentium_bug_patch+bhawes_patches_for_everything), vfat is
read-write.  For example,

[kaboom at splat build]$ mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext2 (rw,usrquota)
/dev/hda4 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb1 on /opt type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb2 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb6 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdb7 on /build type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdc1 on /mnt/doszip type vfat (rw,uid=500,gid=10,umask=0117)
[kaboom at splat build]$ touch /mnt/doszip/junk
[kaboom at splat build]$ rm /mnt/doszip/junk
[kaboom at splat build]$

Here, I just mounted the vfat disk (zip disk from work ;-) something
like:

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt/doszip -o gid=10,uid=500,umask=0117

That way, all the files are owned and writable only by me (kaboom's
uid=500) and the wheel group (gid=10) so that only I and a couple of
other people in the wheel group can mess with them.  It seems to work
fine....

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu