[ale] Re: compile problems on new k6

Rich Simons tko at westgac3.dragon.com
Thu Nov 20 07:28:00 EST 1997

Rick Hawkins writes:
[snip]
> Yep, it was heat.  It would do a kernel compile at 2.5*66=166 without a
> problem, but not at 200.
>
> I pulled the sdram for 32mb of cheap fpm, and now it runs at 83.  It
> would run indefinitely at 166, but with lots of sig11's.  I put another
> fan in the front of the case, got thermal compound, and it's real happy
> at 210 (2.5*83).  Until I put the case on . . . But this is just the
> cheap fan that came with it; i'm going to shell out for a good

Since it looks like you are going to replace that anemic fan, I ran into the
same sort of problem. Although I don't have a Cyrix CPU, I used a fan unit
rated for a 200 Mhz Cyrix <a very big one 8-) >  and haven't had any more heat
problems. A bit of over-kill...

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL