[ale] question about setting up a SMP machine (help me!)

Josh Murrah jmurrah at spaceghost.salug.org
Thu Nov 20 09:33:46 EST 1997

Hi, I'm from the South Alabama LUG (the guys in the black t-shirts w/ the
globe at ALS this year), and I'm setting up SALUG's new Quake server at
work.  It is a dual P5 200 mmx monster, which cost us a mere $650 or so.
I sat down and installed Slackware 3.3 on it for kicks and to make sure it
was functional before we go to the server location downtown with it.  I
installed, and recompiled the 2.0.30 kernel which was included, with the
SMP flag set to 1 (in the top level Makefile).  It was then rebooted, and
all was well... until I slapped a heavy load on it.  15 minutes later, and
with a load average of 280, it froze.  completely.  no keyboard light
reaction, etc.  After a reboot and another 20 minutes of heavy loads, the
result was the same.  The question : what can I do?  we've blown a lot of
money on this, and I'd like to be able to produce some results.  Is there
a development kernel that's more advanced, SMP wise that I should be
using?  Please help!

Thanks for any responses,

Josh Murrah, jmurrah at salug.org, http://www.salug.org/~jmurrah, ICQ 4613433
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.