[ale] Remote Printing.

Chris Hamilton chrish at ifsintl.com
Sun Nov 16 23:39:30 EST 1997

> > 3. Make sure that your local box has a hostname entry in /etc/hosts.lpd
> >

> It was #3.  Now I'm getting "Unknown printer" on my local machine.  I've
> defined the local machine in the remote machine's /etc/hosts.equiv (same
> effect as hosts.lpd according to man page).

Permit me to set up a simple example, this may help you out:

hostname1 = Your print spooler
hostname2 = Your local machine
hostname3 = Your printer (this may be different if the printer is LPT'd
            to your print spooler .. I'll cover that too)

Basic Printcap for hostname1 (the spooler)
If printer is networked:

lp|printer_1:\
	:lp=:\
	:rm=hostname3:\
	:rp=hostname3:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/printer_1:

If printer is LPT'd:

lp|printer_1:\
	:lp=:/dev/deviceprinterisconnectedto\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/printer_1:

Basic Printcap for hostname2 (the local box)

lp:\
	:lp=:\
	:rm=hostname1:\
	:rp=printer_1:

As I said, this is a very basic example. However, sometimes it's
easier to see how things are done, through example.

---
Christopher Hamilton    Internal System Administrator
chrish at ifsintl.com      IFS International, Inc.