[ale] Lost throughput

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 7 23:45:51 EST 1997

On  7 Nov , Robert L Harris wrote:
> I got IP forwarding and with alot of help from Chris the ICMP for the
> most part,I can traceroute but not ping.  Anyway since I put the masq in
> place I took a nasty hit to throughput.  I had an average through put of
> 11K/s (external ISDN adapter)  Now I'm lucky to get 6K/s.  I expected some
> loss, but not that much.  Any ideas?

Under "Networking options," did you turn on IP defragging?  It's
probably safer to do so on your gateway box, but it will slow down your
throughput a fair amount.  Assuming that's the problem, you could try
it both ways and see if you lose anything important or if you have
problems sending the right packets to the right machine....

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu