[ale] hard drives

The Wayward Mage gstsmt at gstv.Gsu.EDU
Wed Mar 12 19:57:26 EST 1997

My hard drive has a problem on cylinder 0 (I'm not sure what the problem
is), so every time I boot, I get lines and lines of data when it tries to
read this drive.  Luckily for me, this isn't my boot drive.  DOS and Win95
have no problems whatsoever reading this drive (even Norton read it fine),
but I'd like to get rid of the error messages linux gives me every time it
boots, or I try to mount it, or I run setup.

Is there anyway I can tell the kernel that the drive isn't there?  This
used to be a straight linux drive until it crashed and linux started
refusing to see it....so now I've made it a DOS drive cause DOS doesn't
see the problem.  I'm ok with my linux drive being a UMSDOS partition on
my main drive, but I'd like to get around all of the error messages.  Is
there a way I can do this without messing with the kernel?

Any help appreciated,

Michael Thornberry