(no subject)

Matthew Avery avery at saturn.asetech.com
Wed Mar 5 14:15:26 EST 1997

Thanks to all how answered my question about the bootserver
and diskless clients.  If I get this setup up and running
I will post a description of the process.

On to a new question:  I'm getting pretty concerned that
my nameserver machine is going to crap out any day now
unless I fix it soon.  Among the wierd stuff that is
happening to it:

At one point it trashed the swap space for no apparent
reason and I had to redo it.

It does not appear to completely run through the scripts
in rc.d on bootup.  I have to manually run one of the
scripts to get sendmail and a bunch of other daemons up
and running.

It appears to be running multiple copies of some daemons
and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be doing this.  This
could be from running the boot script manually.

It is slowly eating up disk space (up to 89% capacity now)
I assumed this was from system logging that I had turned on
so I deleted the syslog file (~9Mb) but when I checked the
disk space again using "df -k" it didn't register any change.
I issued "update" and "sync" then "df -k" again and still no
change in available disk space.

I'm not an expert at system administration but I get by so
I would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me what
system logging options to turn on (and how to do it) and
how to diagnose and repair these problems.

I did a manual upgrade from a Slackware installation (3.0?)
to kernel 2.0.27 and I *THINK* I got all the packages I
needed (like the new procps for instance).  From the
boot problems I'm now thinking that I maybe didn't upgrade
the SysVinit or something.  I have no problem with reading
documentation or even buying a book if necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Matt-

The following is the output from "ps -ax":

  PID TTY STAT  TIME COMMAND
    1  ?  S    1:14 init [5]
    2  ?  SW   0:00 (kflushd)
    3  ?  SW<  0:00 (kswapd)
    4  ?  SW   0:00 (nfsiod)
    5  ?  SW   0:00 (nfsiod)
    6  ?  SW   0:00 (nfsiod)
    7  ?  SW   0:00 (nfsiod)
   12  ?  S    2:12 update (bdflush)
   32  ?  S    0:00 sh /etc/rc.d/rc.M
   35  ?  S    0:02 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
   49  ?  S   11:36 /usr/sbin/syslogd
   51  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd
   55  ?  S    4:38 /usr/sbin/inetd
   56  ?  S   43:46 /usr/sbin/named -d 1 -b /etc/named.boot
   84  ?  S    0:02 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
   98  ?  S    1:23 /usr/sbin/syslogd
  100  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd
  104  ?  S    0:04 /usr/sbin/inetd
  107  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/routed -g -s
  109  ?  S    0:00 (lpd)
  112  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
  114  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
  120  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/ypbind
  127  ?  S    0:04 sendmail: accepting connections
  136  ?  S <  0:00 /root/netrek/bin/listen -p 2591
  138  ?  S <  0:00 /root/netrek/bin/listen -p 2592
11647  ?  S    0:00 update (bdflush)
11661  ?  S    0:00 update (bdflush)
12998  ?  S    0:00 in.telnetd
12999  p0 S    0:00 -bash
13010  p0 R    0:00 ps -ax
22226  ?  S <  0:10 xntpd
   53  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap

Matthew Avery

ASE Technologies, Inc.       Phone:(513) 563-8855
4015 Executive Park Dr.      FAX:  (513) 563-8865
Suite 203
Cincinnati, OH 45241