[ale] Initial install using Debian 1.3.1, from CD?

Robert Caesar Jr. BobCaesar at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 00:54:44 EST 1997

Hi All,

The installation notes on my debian1.3.1 CD say that the boot media can
be
a CD if it is a bootable CD and the PC can boot from CD.   There was a
boot file on the CD and my bios says it'll try the floppy, then CD, and
finally
the hard disk when booting.  I popped the CD in, restarted the machine
and got:

   LDLINUX.SYS 1.30 96/11/04 Copyright (c) 1994-96 H. Peter Anvin

and that was it.  No shell.  No prompt. No other messages.

Has anyone done an install from scratch using a debian CD directly
(without
creating the seven installation floppies with rawrite.exe)?

I am going to try to install debian Linux on my [now obsolete] 1GB Jaz
drive
attached to my HP Pavilion 7370 Pentium system.

Thanks,

Bob
Robert J. Caesar Jr.         BobCaesar at mindspring.com