[ale] NT 5.0

bdixon at panda.gtri.gatech.edu bdixon at panda.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 3 22:41:47 EST 1997

> Side note on traffic performance in NT vs the people who know better
> (unix-ites), I read in PC Week that more and more MIS people are
> finding that NT can't handle gigabit ethernet- it tends to peak at
> around 300Mbits/s whereas Unix systems can handle it.  Any comments?

I don't think that Linux does even that well. I remember reading some
articles on the ATM/Linux project and Beowulf that cited a 20Mb/s limit
for TCP/IP due to excessive buffer copies. The ATM people had a way/patch
around this, I belive.

Can anyone lend some valididty to this? Has anyone actually served stuff
quicker then 20Mb/s off of Linux?

Brad