[ale] Linux as has-been OS <G>

Joseph Knapka jak at jhk.com
Mon Dec 1 18:02:07 EST 1997

R I Feigenblatt wrote:

> I just got an interesting letter from SCO. It reads:
>
>         "Your Old Linux OS was fine...
>
>         "But, now there's something that blows it out
>          of the water! Introducing the NEWEST VERSION
>          of SCO's hot OS...UnixWare 2.1.2...
>
>         "Dear Linux User..."
>
>         "You May Feel Your Linux Is Adequate...
>          But, Did You Know This?
>
>         "1. Linux has no technical support or maintenance.

Uh, no, I had absolutely no idea that this was the case.
I guess all those patches that nice kernel developers
have sent me were actually just figments of my imagination.
Damn. Well, I'd blow Linux off my hard drive right now,
except my machine's uptime is about 18 months now, and
I don't want to spoil my chance at the record.

>         "2. Linux has no defined strategy for the future.

Oh no! That means that there isn't a monolithic management
heirarchy trying to predict what the extremely volatile
computer industry is going to do years in advance and
making important product development decisions on that
basis! Why, these guys are flying completely blind...
they see a need and just respond to it - without even
running any focus groups! Ye GODS!

>         "3. Most important, can your company accept that its viability as a
>                 business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained by a
>                 small number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?

Hmmm, true. I'd much rather be dependent on SCO. Or even Micro$oft!

>         "4. Of course there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just imagine
>                 all the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug the
>                 kernel yourself."

This is a VERY good point. From long experience, I have come to
the conclusion that an hour spent on hold with customer support
is an hour that I can be playing Doom or solitaire. This is
obviously a more productive use of my time than trying to
figure out how sophisticated multiprocessing kernel code works.

> Ron Feigenblatt

Later,

-- Joe

Joseph Knapka / Systems Engineer / TransCore, an SAIC company
I speak only for myself, not for my employer.