[ale] Linux as has-been OS <G>

robbie at tomservo.eng.mindspring.net robbie at tomservo.eng.mindspring.net
Mon Dec 1 16:39:56 EST 1997

In our previous episode, R I Feigenblatt was heard to say:

> I just got an interesting letter from SCO. It reads:
>
> 	"But, now there's something that blows it out
> 	 of the water! Introducing the NEWEST VERSION
> 	 of SCO's hot OS...UnixWare 2.1.2...

"We're cool because we own the trademark."

> 	"2. Linux has no defined strategy for the future.

What's SCO's strategy? "We're SCO. We Suck Less Thn Before!"

> 	"3. Most important, can your company accept that its viability as a
> 		business depends heavily on a freeware product maintained by a
> 		small number of people on an essentially volunteer basis?

Versus a company employing many full-time developers who still haven't
been able to make SCO anything more than something that UNIX admins tell
horror stories about..

> 	"4. Of course there is a challenging aspect to Linux. Just imagine
> 		all the fun you get when you encounter a bug and debug the kernel
> 		yourself."

On the same note, just remember the 'challenge' that some news administrators had
when they discovered that some older versions of SCO had inode limitations
that assured that they'd run out of free inodes (and couldn't increase them)
long before they ran out of disk.

Please excuse me, I'm in the mood to flame today.. :-) I'm sure Chris Farris
can fill everyone in on how much SCO has improved over the years.. :-)

Robbie