[ale] Setting a Windows machine to a Linux Printer

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 1 11:43:43 EST 1997

On  1 Dec, Robert L Harris wrote:
>> You've got two choices.  You can find unix print queue support for Win95
>> (OnNet from FTP software has one that works okay), which is
>> probably gonna cost you money, or you can set up samba on your linux box
>> to share your printer and then access it in the normal Windows
>> networking way.
>>
>> later,
>> chris
>>

> As much as I hate to put windows stuff on my linux box, sounds like samba
> might be the better way to go so I don't have to maintain the silly windows
> side.  Does samba come with RedHat4.2 or do I need to go get it?

Samba's not bad.  I have several windows <-> unix commercial packages
(they provide nfs for windows, lpd for windows, etc.) that I've picked
up over the years, but samba seems to work better than all of them in my
experience.  Right now, for example, I have a linux network (nfs, lpd)
for my computers, and then use samba / smbmount to share files and
printers off my server to the other people in my apartment, who all use
win95.  In other situations, it's also seemed to work better....

I'm not sure if Red Hat 4.2 ships with samba or not.  If not, you can
download it from the people who wrote it in RPM format at
http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ (I'd recommend you stay away from
ftp.redhat.com right now, since red hat 5 just came out and they're no
doubt swamped ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu